ZocdocAnswersMy vagina itches and I have small flesh toned bumps at bottom of vagina. What could this be?

Question

My vagina itches and I have small flesh toned bumps at bottom of vagina. What could this be?

I recently had unprotected sex and he pulled out, but I decided to take Plan B just in case. Two days ago I developed intense itchiness, no discharge, no change in smell. Today I noticed itchy flesh toned bumps at the bottom of my vaginal opening. What could this be?

Answer

Sexually transmitted diseases come in many forms and shapes. Seeing a doctor when you have symptoms is important for prompt treatment. Itchiness in the vaginal area can be caused by a variety of things. Flesh colored bumps can be caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV) which causes vaginal warts. The HPV is a sexually transmitted virus that is very common. There are a variety of them. Some (6 and 11) can cause vaginal warts which a flesh colored bumps that can form a cauliflower appearance when a bunch of them grow in a small area. Other types can cause cervical cancer (16, 18 and some other less common types) which is why women have regular pap smears to look for changes in the cells of their cervix caused by these types of viruses. In addition, the herpes simplex virus can cause fluid filled bumps in the vaginal area. Those tend to cause pain and can burst forming small ulcerations. These are also sexually transmitted infection. Some forms of vulvar (the outer part of the vagina) cancer can also have a flesh like appearance, although these are much less common than the viral infections. Thus, it is very important for you to see a medical provider as soon as possible so that you can be treated.