ZocdocAnswersWhy do I always feel sleepy?

Question

Why do I always feel sleepy?

Hi, I'm 18, and I'm always feeling sleepy and tired, and this bothers me alot. I have 8 hours of sleep everyday, and I do exercise in the morning before I start off my day. I'm having headache sometimes and keep wanting to sleep. I want to finish all my work so badly, but I couldn't because of this problem. Please help me on this. Thank you.

Answer

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, your question brings up many different questions on my side. As you are not able to answer most of them in this format, you will need to speak with your doctor. The first questions that he or she may ask are about your sleep quality, ie, are you awakening frequently, having restful sleep, etc. Next, he or she may ask about how long the problem has been occurring. There are obviously some conditions that can manifest as sleep problems and cause fatigue but come from an entirely different source. The timeline of the problem is therefore invaluable. After asking many more questions about your problem, the doctor may feel that it is appropriate to get a sleep study, or polysomnogram. This can be done in a sleep lab or at home, and involves sleeping with some additional wiring in place to track your sleep, breathing, etc. This can often provide invaluable information, and can be especially useful if there is a concern for sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is quite common, especially among those who are overweight or have other medical problems. Please speak with your doctor about your symptoms and determine if more testing is needed.