I had blood in the toilet. Do I need to get looked at?

I was in the hospital for 4 days due to a pulmonary embolism. I got home yesterday. It had been 5 days since I was able to have a bowel movement so I knew it was going to be really hard to go. I finally went today and there was red blood in the toilet and on the toilet paper. This has happened multiple times to me before when it was hard to go to the bathroom in the past. I am taking Xarelto and I was wondering if I need to be checked out. The stool itself didnt look black, etc but there was a decent amount of blood in the water. Since this has happened to me multiple times before I dont know if the Xeralto changes anything. Ive been talking it for 3 days.
You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to be evaluated. Xeralto is a blood thinning medication used to prevent future emboli from forming. If you have any bleeding, even a cut from a finger, you will bleed for a longer time. You have blood in the toilet which is concerning. It is not normal to have blood in the stool. From your description, it sounds like you may have a component of constipation that is contributing your presentation. Constipation makes it different for you to pass stool; thus, you push a little harder which causes an increased intra-abdominal pressures. This can lead to hemorrhoids which can cause bleeding. Hemorrhoids can be external or internal. External hemorrhoids are painful and internal hemorrhoids are painless. Both can cause bleeding. You could also have a condition of diverticulosis from constipation which can lead to painless bleeding. If you are over the age of 50, you should get a colonoscopy. At this point, it is unclear what is causing your bleeding but it is concerning. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to be evaluated. Your doctor can check simple lab tests to ensure that you aren't losing too much blood. If you suddenly develop profuse bleeding, you should go to the emergency room.