ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when your child has autism but documents say rule out pdd/nos?

Question

What does it mean when your child has autism but documents say rule out pdd/nos?

He was diagnosed with autism and put on resperidone , I dont understand what it means when they say rule out

Answer

I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a child psychiatrist. PDD stands for pervasive developmental disorder. A pervasive developmental disorder is a type of disorder that affects a child's development in a few different possible ways. Autism is just one of several pervasive developmental disorders. When a doctor diagnoses a patient with PDD/NOS, what they mean is that the patient has a pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (NOS). In other words, your doctor thinks that your child might have autism but he or she is not entirely certain as another pervasive developmental disorder could be the culprit. I should note here that autism is probably the most common PPD. Thus, if your doctor mentioned that autism was leading diagnosis, PPD/NOS is an appropriate official diagnosis in the chart. Risperidone is a commonly prescribed medication for a variety of different psychiatric issues. Not knowing exactly what the symptoms are in your child's case, I cannot comment on whether or not this is the right medication. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a child psychiatrist for further assessment of your child's issues. This is the type of physician that is most equipped at helping your child stay on the right track developmentally. In addition, you can get recommendations on treatment options, and an assessment as to the appropriateness of Risperidone Good luck.