My knee hurts all the time, what could it be?

The inside of my left knee hurts a lot when I'm standing running jumping or sometimes lying down. I started cross country this month 2 days s week and they hurt more but I had pains before. My knee has gotten swollen and if I press on the inside of my knee it hurts.
I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. The knee joint contains many different structures, and abnormalities in any of them can cause pain. You will need a thorough in-person evaluation, including a history and physical exam. Depending on this evaluation, you may also need x-rays or an MRI of your knee. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. Given your significant amount of running, increased use of the muscles, tendons, and cartilage of your knee can cause pain through overuse. It is also possible you have a tear of the meniscus, or cartilage lining of your knee, which is being made worse by increased use. You could have preexisting joint arthritis with worsening pain due to increased exercise. Sprain or rupture of one of your knee's ligaments, such as the ACL or MCL, can cause pain. A strain of the quadriceps muscle in your thigh can cause pain. Certain syndromes, such as iliotibial band syndrome or patellofemoral syndrome, often cause knee pain, particularly when individuals increase their amount of exercise. All of these possibilities require in-person evaluation. I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons