ZocdocAnswersDo I have an UTI?

Question

Do I have an UTI?

I just experienced a burning sensation after peeing, but not during urination

Answer

Please speak with your primary care doctor about your concern. Pain during or around the time of urination is not normal. Urinary tract infections (UTI) are infections that can occur anywhere in the urinary tract from the opening of the urethra all the way up to the kidneys. UTI's are more common in women than in men. The reason is that the urethra is shorter in women; thus, bacteria can travel into the bladder and up the ureter and to the kidney's more easily. In men, the urethra is much longer within the penis and does not have the opportunity to travel towards the kidneys as much. In women, sexual intercourse can introduce bacteria around the urethra and increase the risk of a UTI. Some women would urinate about sex to flush out any bacteria that could have been introduced to the urethra during sex. If you do have a UTI, you would feel pain, burning, discomfort. You can also experience lower abdomen pain and sometimes flank pain. If it reaches your kidneys, it can lead to a condition called pyelonephritis which is infection of your kidneys. UTI's can be treated with antibiotics. If you are sexually active, you should also ensure that you do not have any sexually transmitted disease because that can also cause pain and burning in the same say a UTI can. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor. They can take a urine sample and run tests on it to ensure that you do not have any signs of infections.