ZocdocAnswersLow Testosterone and delayed puberty

Question

Low Testosterone and delayed puberty

I am 18 years old. Male. I was diagnosed with low testosterone. 38 value. 175-781 ng/dL range. I am taking 0.5 ml every 14 days injections. My question is when am I suppose to see effects and will effects occur like a normal boy going through puberty or is it different like height penis size or any of those that i missed. Plus I have breast enlargement. -Thank you

Answer

Thanks for your question. I am glad to hear that you are working with a physician, and it is important to continue working with him or her. You should begin to feel some of the effects of the testosterone in the near future, if you have not started to notice them already. Others of these effects will take some time and be modulated by your normal genetic composition. In other words, while testosterone can help you to reach your full potential, it will be affected to some degree by what your body would have been without it. All of these other changes, those that affect size and the way that your body develops, will require more time to be fully effective. You may continue to see changes for some time, but the amount of the changes will also depend on the level of maturation that you have reached previously. Your physician should be able to help you understand what more can be expected from your replacement therapy. Please speak with your doctor about this question.