Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could I have pelvic inflammatory disease or have had a miscarriage, etc?"

ZocdocAnswersCould I have pelvic inflammatory disease or have had a miscarriage, etc?


was on birth control for 7 years. never had a period because I only took the pills with the hormones. stopped taking birth control a year ago began trying to conceive. Since then my periods have been very light and my cycles have been irregular, from 31-42 days. Not too long ago I had what I thought was minor vaginal infection. My doctor prescribed diflucan. But this month my period came earlier than normal, cycle was only 31 days. It is heavier than normal and I have abdominal aching off and on. This seems like an ongoing infertility/infection issue.


Sorry to hear about your current situation and frustration. Hopefully there is a resolution that you can find that will help you with your desire to become pregnant. There are many parts to this question that will require working closely with your OB/GYN to make sure that all of the necessary variables are appropriate before you are able to conceive. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is not an uncommon problem, but there is usually a history of multiple sexual partners, unprotected sex or some concern for sexually transmitted diseases. While it is possible in other situations, those are some of the risk factors that make it more likely. Unfortunately, the disease can make conception difficult despite a minimum of symptoms in some people. Miscarriages are perhaps more common than we realize according to some studies, but most of these happen before people realize that they are pregnant. While either PID or a miscarriage could explain some of your symptoms, there may be other things that are more likely for you. An infertility specialist may be able to help you given your concerns, and your OB/GYN should be able to direct you if a referral is appropriate. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.