ZocdocAnswersWhy does spicy food gives me indigestion?

Question

Why does spicy food gives me indigestion?

Hi there. I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow, and I've just realised that I ate something spicy. Which always gives me indigestion, and has me running to the bathroom alot the next day. How can I avoid this, so I can enjoy my time out? Thanks.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that you should discuss with your primary care doctor as he or she will best be able to discuss these issues based upon your history and physical examination. In general, some people have more sensitive stomachs than others, and are more prone to having indigestion after eating spicy food. If this is the case, your doctor might suggest that you try some over the counter medications to help with your indigestion after it has occurred, or give you some prophylactic medications to help you before it begins. On the other hand, he or she may suggest that you avoid foods that give you these symptoms based upon how much you want to eat them and whether you mind having some minor symptoms after eating these foods. From your description, this sounds like a common complaint that people have, and so it doesn't sound like something serious, but that being said, it is still important to discuss this with your doctor so they he or she can rule out any other more serious causes for the symptoms that you are having. It is very difficult to ascertain the exact cause of your symptoms based upon the limited history provided.