ZocdocAnswersI am having lower stomach pains when I cough and when I have sex. What could this be?

Question

I am having lower stomach pains when I cough and when I have sex. What could this be?

Its my lower stomach.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. I recommend that you speak with your doctor soon. Lower stomach pain can come from a number of different sources, and to some degree the options of what could be causing your problem has to do with your gender. For example, females have to consider pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and multiple other conditions that have to do with the female reproductive system and can present as lower abdominal pain. While this can also be a presenting symptom for men with problems of the reproductive system, it is somewhat less common. Often, when a person is having pain in the belly, the quadrant of the pain can tell quite a bit of valuable information. For example, right lower quadrant abdominal pain is classically associated with appendicitis, and there are number of other tests that can be done to confirm this diagnosis. Left lower quadrant pain can be associated with problems of the colon such as diverticulitis and even constipation. More vaguely distributed pain across the lower abdomen does raise consideration of problems with the genitourinary tract or reproductive system. As many of these conditions can be urgent, and most require some sort of intervention, please speak with your doctor about this question in the near future.