Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How to prevent androgenic hair growth in a male?"


I am a 21 year old man and I hate all the androgenic hair that was not there when I was a child. I am wondering if you think that dutasteride (Avodart) would be effective to prevent this hair from growing (in combination with permanent hair removal) and if it is likely to have any serious harmful effects on a young male. I have no wish for sexuality so I do not care about sexual side effects.


Other than routine hair removal techniques, there is no medical treatment for androgen hair growth that I think that any doctor would recommend. Still, i recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. Hair on the chest and on the back can be removed by shaving, waxing, or other over-the-counter non prescribed hair removal techniques.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Dutasteride is a medication that is used for benign prostatic hyperplasia. It is not a medication that is used for antigenic hair growth and even is not typically used or at least recommended to be used for androgenic hair loss also known as male pattern baldness. The medication finasteride which is a relative of dutasteride is the only medication that has been studied that can prevent or in some cases even reverse male pattern baldness. There is little if any data on its effect on the spread of hair growth elsewhere such as the chest in the back. In terms of sexual side effects, dutasteride and finasteride both have very low incidences of sexual side effects and when patients do experience them they are usually reversible. This is important because while you may not wish to be sexually active at this time, that is likely to change in the future at some point. I think this issue is best handled by your primary care physician. I suggest you schedule an appointment soon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.