ZocdocAnswersI have a very hard lump inside my rectum some bleeding discharge, spotting between periods. What could it be?

Question

I have a very hard lump inside my rectum some bleeding discharge, spotting between periods. What could it be?

age early 20s

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. Given your young age, there are a number of different possible conditions that you may be experiencing. I suggest that you seek consultation with your doctor and describe when you first began to feel symptoms, when you first noticed the lump, whether it has gotten bigger/smaller, whether you experience pain with defecation, whether you have any associated symptoms (diarrhea, constipation, fever, chills, etc.), and discuss your family history of gastrointestinal disease and cancer. The hard lump you feel inside your rectum may be rectal in origin or from your pelvis and felt through your rectum. If from your rectum, this may be an internal hemorrhoid, a polyp, or potentially a colorectal cancer. If outside of your rectum, this may be endometriosis, a finding of endometrial cells outside of your uterus. If you are having associated fever and chills, you could potentially have a pelvic abscess, a collection of pus, that you are able to feel through your rectum. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a doctor or other qualified health professional. I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care physician, gynecologist or local health center for further evaluation to receive a diagnosis and potential treatment strategies.