I have had my period for 9 days, should I start birth control pills to make it stop?
I am sexually active, 24 year old with a history of period issues and possible endometriosis. I haven't taken birth control pills since I was 19.
Sorry to hear about your symptoms. While oral contraceptives may help some women control their menstrual cycle and their menstrual bleeding, it is important to discuss this question with your doctor. That is because there are other things that can cause these symptoms beyond your known concern for possible endometriosis. For example, different bleeding disorders, benign or malignant tumors, pregnancy, and other problems can all cause bleeding. Irregular menstrual bleeding, while quite common, should not be self diagnosed or treated, as there are potentially many significant problems that can be undiagnosed and untreated if they are managed inappropriately. Speaking with your doctor is a simple thing that you can do to get valuable information and also to make sure that you are treated in the right fashion. Finally, if he or she does feel that oral contraceptives offer the best option for control of your bleeding, they will be able to prescribe it then and there. Additionally, it is important for sexually active women to have regular physical examinations to make sure that they are in optimum health and to avoid some of the other problems discussed earlier. Please speak with your doctor about your question.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.
Search for an answer:
- I've noticed that, for some time now, the opening and about a few mm inside my vaginal canal is white. What could this be?
- I had an exploratory surgery yesterday for pain in my left ovary. Can one ovary be smooth and white and the other lumpy and red and they are both healthy?
- I am wondering how long it can take to start ovulating and starting my period after birth control?
- What is causing pain after sex?
- My period is always heavy when i get it. How can I stop it without going on the pill?
Need More Info?