ZocdocAnswersI am having a burning sensation in my throat after eating barley and oatmeal. Why is this happening?

Question

I am having a burning sensation in my throat after eating barley and oatmeal. Why is this happening?

I had zinc sulfate poisoning three years ago which caused both peptic and duodenal ulcers. After that spicy foods (such as ones with turmeric) still cause burning sensation in stomach (but not in throat). This is understandable. But foods like barley, oatmeal, beetroots and to some extent carrots cause burning sensation in throat (heartburn?), at the same time bringing pleasant sensations in stomach. Please kindly let me know why this could happen. Thank you very much.

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak either to a gastroenterologist or an ear nose and throat surgeon. Each of these foods does seem to have some things in common, such as the high content of starches and the long amount of time that some of them may take to digest due to their high fiber content. Any sort of irritation could be involved. Your suggestion that heartburn could be involved certainly makes sense to some degree, but it would likely add quite a bit of information to know if the discomfort starts immediately on eating the food (as it goes down) or starts some time after you have eaten it. If the former, than heartburn is perhaps involved but not quite as clearly. If the latter, than you may have some sort of reaction of increased reflux in response to these foods. Clearly this is something that you should discuss more fully with your doctor to make sure that there is no cause that needs further investigation or treatment, especially since you have had problems in the past. Either a gastroenterologist or an ear nose and throat surgeon should be able to help you understand what is causing your problems. Please speak with your doctor to get the help that you need about this problem.