ZocdocAnswersI have a migraine with a cold sensation in neck. What's wrong?

Question

I have a migraine with a cold sensation in neck. What's wrong?

I have a migraine on the left side (when it's usually on the right) I have chronic migraines, but they've been fairly maintained lately. This time I got a tingling sensation at the top left side of my head as if something was crawling on my scalp. This lasted almost two hours before the left side of my neck and shoulder felt like someone placed an icecube on them, but the skin is warm to the touch. Its been thirty minutes now and the only relief is to put a large blanket over it but the rest of my body and face begin to over heat. I was also experiencing a sharp pain in my neck on the left side just before the cold that no matter how I moved it, it would go away until the cold arrived. I have never had an Aura with my migraines (that I have recognized) I don't feel particularly anxious other than the worry this sensation has caused. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Answer

Migraine headaches can be associated with multiple other symptoms in addition to head pain. Therefore, if you have a history of migraine headache and are developing new associated symptoms, I recommend that you see your doctor for further evaluation. Pain, temperature variation and tingling of the skin of the head can be associated with migraine headache, though it may have other independent causes as well. For example, irritation of the trigeminal nerve, which provides sensory feedback to and from the face and scalp, can be associated with shooting pains in the face, as well as tingling or numbness involving the face and scalp. This process, when chronic, is referred to as trigeminal neuralgia, and certain medications and therapies can be used to treat it. Trigeminal nerve irritation can be associated with headaches. Neck pain is not commonly associated with migraine headaches, and may be due to stiffness or spasm of the muscles in the neck. Occasionally, nerve outlet abnormalities, as seen with degenerative disk disease of stenosis of the vertebrae can lead to neck pain and sensory abnormalities. If you find that typical abortive medications for your migraine are not working, please see your doctor for further evaluation, testing and treatment if needed.