Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My right arm has a shooting pain from my shoulder to my hand. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersMy right arm has a shooting pain from my shoulder to my hand. What should I do?


For 2 days ive had shooting / burning pain on my right hand up to my neck it dont stop


There are many causes of neck and hand pain, as well as burning pain. The best and safest way to diagnose the problem is to see your primary care doctor. Your primary care doctor can perform the appropriate examination that will aid in reaching your diagnosis. In addition, your doctor may order imaging tests, and/or refer you to a specialist, such a a neurologist. Often times, shooting and burning pain indicates damage or inflammation of a nerve. Nerves run from the spinal cord, and neck, and down the arm. Therefore, there can be damage to a nerve at each level. For example, if you are often typing or on a computer, or placing pressure on the right wrist, this may cause damage to the median nerve, also known as carpal tunnel syndrome. This typically presents also with numbness and tingling of the first three fingers of the hand. In addition, the nerve can be damaged at the elbow, if there is repetitive motion such as during sports, or constant pressure on that area. The nerves can also be damaged at the level of the neck and spinal cord. There can be many causes for this ranging from a herniated 'slipped' disc, to osteoporosis and bone growths, to even benign or cancerous growths in the spine. For this reason, be sure to see your doctor. This type of pain can also be caused by diabetes, which can damage the nerves over time. Or even deficiencies in certain vitamins such as B12. It is important to see your doctor if you continue to have these symptoms, so that you can be properly evaluated and examined, and referred to a specialist if needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.