ZocdocAnswers My testicle is swollen, what can I do?

Question

My testicle is swollen, what can I do?

I iced it down it feels much better the next day but it is swollen what could b the problem

Answer

I cannot provide a definitive diagnosis without an in-person evaluation. Therefore, I urge you to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to help determine the cause of your symptoms. There are multiple structures within the scrotum that can lead to testicular swelling. Obstruction of the blood flow to the testicle (testicular torsion) can cause swelling and pain and can require emergency surgery to correct. You could also have inflammation of the small tubes connecting your testicle to your urethra (epididymis). These is often due to a bacterial infection and requires treatment with antibiotics. Mumps, primarily in adolescent boys, can cause orchitis, or inflammation of the testicle. Several sexually transmitted disease, including chlamydia and gonorrhea, can lead to testicular swelling. Additionally, an inguinal hernia often causes scrotal swelling. This happens when a weakening of your abdominal wall allows a loop of your intestine to migrate into the inguinal canal. This often requires surgical repair. Given the multitude of possible explanations for your symptoms, you should consult your primary care doctor regarding the next step in management. You may need to undergo blood and urine tests. Depending on the evaluation, you may also require an ultrasound of your testicle to help determine the cause.