ZocdocAnswersDoes PCOS affect pregnancy tests and do I have to get an ultrasound?

Question

Does PCOS affect pregnancy tests and do I have to get an ultrasound?

I have PCOS and I have had a period for 4 months and then suddenly its been about 2 months since I stopped getting a period. before the first month of my missed period I had to nausea and threw up and had headaches. I've been reading online and a lot of people that have PCOS say that they have to get ultrasounds to see if they are pregnant and they do blood test and urine samples for pregnancy and they come out negative so they take it off some and it comes out that they are pregnant

Answer

I haven't heard of patients with PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) having issues with false negative pregnancy tests, however the best thing to do is to speak with your OBGYN who can evaluate you. The standard pregnancy test looks for the presence of beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in the urine. Beta HCG is a hormone that is released by a growing embryo and later the placenta. This hormone is not released by anything else except for a couple rare types of tumors. In addition, there are no medical issues that cause an embryo not to release beta HCG. In other words, whether you have PCOS or not, if you have been pregnant for more than a couple weeks, the test should be positive. I do agree that it is harder for someone with PCOS to tell whether they are pregnant or not because of the erratic periods. If you are sexually active and do not use any form of protection, then you should probably take a pregnancy test any month you do not get a period. If pregnancy is not desirable, it is important that you talk to your doctor about getting on a form of hormonal birth control. This can help regulate your periods and prevent you from getting pregnant. You should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for this issue.