ZocdocAnswersI have a sore throat, swollen glands, headache, fatigue, fever, and pimple-like bumps on tongue and inside cheeks. What could be wrong?

Question

I have a sore throat, swollen glands, headache, fatigue, fever, and pimple-like bumps on tongue and inside cheeks. What could be wrong?

I am a 27 year old female about 130 pounds. I do not drink alcohol I do not smoke cigarettes. I do not have any pets. and no allergies I am aware of

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have a sore throat, headache, fever, lumps in your neck (you mention swollen glands) and bumps inside your cheeks and on your tongue, and that you are worried about what might be going on. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a medical history, and examine you well which are the keystones to making an accurate diagnosis. From what little information you have given me, it sounds like you are young and healthy, so I am assuming that your immune system is working well. It is possible that you have an upper respiratory tract viral infection (URI) that could explain all of your symptoms. The virus infects the mucosa (the lining in your upper aerodigestive tract) and your immune system mounts a fairly robust response to the virus. This causes mucosal inflammation, and inflammation of the submucosal salivary and lymphoid tissue. This is sometimes referred to as 'cobblestoning' referring to the appearance in the back of the throat as it resembles an old cobblestone road. The ENT should be able to examine you and tell you if that is what the bumps are, and whether there is anything more that you should do. I wish you all the best.