ZocdocAnswersI was treated for UTI but it's not gone, what should I do?

Question

I was treated for UTI but it's not gone, what should I do?

Treated for uti and yeast infection over a week ago. Doesn't seem to be getting better. I bleed during sex, hurts to urinate, back pains, stomach pains and headache.

Answer

We were treated for a UTI, and you still have symptoms, then it is possible that the antibiotic that was used for your infection was not the right one. I recommend that you speak with you primary care physician. When someone presents to a physician with signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection, the first step is to obtain a urinalysis to see if an infection is present. If there is one, then antibiotics are started. At the same time the urine is sent off to be cultured so that the bacteria that is causing the infection can be determined. In addition to determining the bacteria, the laboratory can also determine what antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to. If, for example, you were given ciprofloxacin for your urinary tract infection but the bacteria turned out to be resistant to the antibiotic, then you would not get better. For these reasons, you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your doctor should review the urine culture to look at which bacteria was present and which antibiotics the bacteria is susceptible to (hopefully this was done). After that, you can get on the right antibiotic if a mistake was made. Finally, you should have another urinalysis as it is also possible that you have symptoms of a UTI without the infection. In this case, antibiotics would not be helpful.