Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My last 3 periods have lasted 13 days with heavier bleeding than normal. Should I be concerned? "

ZocdocAnswersMy last 3 periods have lasted 13 days with heavier bleeding than normal. Should I be concerned?


My periods usualy last between 3-5 days and have been since I was 12 im now 24 they have always been very heavy and irregular but for the past 3 months they have lasted 13 days and started at different dates and are extremely heavy to the point that I have migraines and feel dizzy and the pain is much worse I am getting a little worried as it has happend for the third time should I consult my doctor?


It sounds like you may have what we call menorrhagia, so it is important to speak with your OB/GYN. Menorrhagia is just the medical term for heavy periods. This is a very common problem, but does warrant medical evaluation. Often the first step in evaluating somebody that presents with a complaint of heavy vaginal bleeding during a period is a pelvic ultrasound. The purpose of a pelvic ultrasound is to look for specific problems that can cause this heavy bleeding. The most common problem found on the vaginal ultrasound that causes heavy plating is a uterine fibroid. Fibroids are small tumors that are benign and grow in the musculature of the uterus. They are very very common but can result in heavy bleeding at times. Another possibility is a similar problem uterine adenomyosis. This is when the musculature of the outer portion of uterus starts to grow in towards the middle. Another cause of heavy vaginal bleeding is a coagulation disorder. Therefore all patients that complain of this problem usually get simple blood test to look for coagulation problems. The best physician for you to see for this problem is your OB/GYN. He or she will be able to discuss the pattern of your bleeding and be able to initiate this simple initial workup. In most cases, the simple workup is enough to determine the cause of the problem and create a solution.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.