Is taking Biotin 10,000 mcg maximum strength too much?

I recently have been taking a Biotin 10,000 mcg because my hair is thinning and losing a lot of hair. I have had cancer in the past which and got chemotherapy for it 2 rounds and after that my hair became very bad and now I am have been taking Biotin 10,000 mcg for 2 days now is that too much or not? I have researched it online some people say they had no side effects some said there were and some people cut the pill in half and take it. I take it one pill a day. Can someone please help me with this question I would appreciated it a lot. Thank You.
Thank you for this interesting question. In order to accurately comment on the safety of this biotin supplement for you, a physician would need to know the full details of your medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. You may also require further tests to determine why you are losing hair. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician to discuss these concerns. Only after collecting this information will the doctor be able to determine the best way to move forward. Vitamin supplements are not regulated by the FDA like medications. Many supplements do not contain the substances they claim to contain. Some have been shown to contain known toxins. In addition, there are many cases of supplements being removed from the market due to severe illness and death. High dose biotin may have deleterious effects on certain organs and may dangerously interact with medications. This may be of particular concern given your history of cancer. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to see a primary care physician. Many medical conditions, in addition to some chemotherapy treatments, can cause hair loss. Thyroid disorders commonly cause hair issues as can scalp infections. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a primary care physician.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235