ZocdocAnswersI got a sharp pain above my belly button, what could it be?

Question

I got a sharp pain above my belly button, what could it be?

it was about two years ago and i was having sex with my husband and i got this sharp pain right above my belly button and it hurts to stand up or move or anything for that matter what coyld it he

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like this pain has been going on for quite some time. In order to provide an accurate answer, it will be necessary to review the full details of your medical record as well as perform a thorough physical exam. This will require an in-person evaluation by a physician. I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After this visit, the doctor can make recommendations on the possible causes of your pain and whether any additional tests are needed. Abdominal pain can be caused by many conditions. As the pain occurred during physical activity and continues to occur during activity, it is possible you strained an abdominal muscle. It is also possible the pain is related to a problem with your uterus or vaginal canal. Ruptured ovarian cysts can cause severe abdominal pain. Pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas, often leads to central abdominal pain. Peptic ulcer disease, appendicitis, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease, and liver disease can cause abdominal pain. It is not possible to provide a definitive diagnosis without more information. I strongly recommend you see a primary care doctor to determine what can be done about your pain.