ZocdocAnswersI have horrible upper back pain after seizure. What should I do?

Question

I have horrible upper back pain after seizure. What should I do?

I had my first seizure last friday. The cause is still a bit of a mystery. However, a week later I have horrible pain in my neck, shoulder upper spine area. Moving hurts in general and sudden movements put me to the floor it's so painful. It's a stabbing, pulsing, crushing pain. I don't have insurance and am wondering if I should go to the er....

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that would be best evaluated by a medical professional such as a primary care doctor or an ER doctor. There are two equally concerning issues that you have brought up and both of them should be discussed with your doctor as soon as possible. It is unclear what your age is but if you are an adult with a new onset of seizures, then this is very concerning and should be evaluated by a neurologist or primary care doctor as soon as possible as this is not a normal thing to occur in healthy adults. They may want to take imaging studies of your brain such as an MRI or perform some blood tests to figure out the cause of this. Secondly, with regards to your neck pain, this is also very concerning and should be evaluated by a doctor urgently as you may have had a serious neck injury after the seizure if you lost consciousness and fell to the ground and this could be serious enough to cause injury to your spine and cause you to have several problems related to weakness and numbness in your arms and legs. For this reason, you should be evaluated as soon as possible for both of these issues.