Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is this a bone bruise or something worse?"

ZocdocAnswersIs this a bone bruise or something worse?


I was at softball and someone through the ball from shortstop to first and the first baseman missed the ball. It hit my shoulder bone instead. My shoulder now hurts to move it in specific directions and it is very sore to touch....what can it be and how can I take care of it?


That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical professional such as an orthopedic surgeon. The shoulder is a complex region of the body with bones, tendons, muscles and nerves passing within a small region and so there are many causes for the symptoms you are describing. It is only with a good history and physical examination that your doctor can elucidate what is the underlying cause for the symptoms you are describing. In general, it could be that you have a rotator cuff injury causing these symptoms. or it could be that one of the tendons holding the muscle to the bone has been injured causing a tendonitis. On the other hand, it could be as you thought a bone bruise or fracture but only after the work-up will it be known what it the underlying cause of your symptoms and then a decision will be made as to the best treatment options available for this. It could be fairly serious and so it is suggested you see a doctor as soon as possible to treat you for the symptoms you are having.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.