ZocdocAnswersI have throat and breathing problems, what could it be?

Question

I have throat and breathing problems, what could it be?

For a little more than a month, I've had a hoarse voice, sore throat that didn't respond to antibiotics, pressure on my chest, rapid heartbeat (one day, my pulse was 104 at rest :/), night sweats, trouble swallowing, tetanus, lost 10 lbs in three weeks for no reason, numbness on the right side of my head, double vision, nausea, hearing problems, strange noises when I breath in and out, runny nose, feeling very fatigued and sleeping a lot, and unable to to take a deep breath in or out. What could it be?

Answer

This sounds like quite a long list of complaints, and I am sorry to hear about it. When a person has this many complaints, or medical symptoms, it is often good to look at the whole picture and find out what else is going on with your body. So it is important to speak with your doctor. Are there things outside of the head and neck that are causing these symptoms? Is stress contributing? What else could be exacerbating some symptoms that might otherwise be explained by a simple, and relatively common, explanation? In the absence of any obvious problems, there are some likely explanations for at least some of these symptoms. Infections, such as the common cold and some of the subsequent infections that can grow out of these, can cause a rapid heart rate, sore throat, dysphagia (or difficulty swallowing), and strange noises when you breathe, etc. Obviously, these sorts of infections are not usually so persistent or so deeply involved, and so it would be important to speak with your doctor to determine why you are having so many symptoms. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) may be well positioned to help you. Please speak with your doctor about this.