ZocdocAnswersHow can I treat itching in the pubic area?

Question

How can I treat itching in the pubic area?

I have an itch on the left side of my penis. It's been a few days since I had it. There is no sores or anything on it. I have never been in a sexual relationship.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can certainly understand why they would be disturbing. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a doctor would need to review the details of your medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam, including a genital exam. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations regarding possible causes as well as treatment options. There are many potential causes for your penis itching. It is possible this is due to tinea, or jock itch, which is caused by a fungal infection. This can cause itching as well as red, crusty lesions. Treatment typical consists of topical antifungal cream or, if that does not work, a course of oral antifungal therapy. It is possible you are suffering from contact dermatitis, which is an allergic reaction often triggered from contact to an allergen in clothing or laundry detergent. Other potential causes include crabs. It is possible for sexually transmitted disease to be contracted without fully penetrative sexual intercourse, and it is important to rule out herpes, syphilis, and HIV. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a primary care doctor.