Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I remove an indented scar?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can I remove an indented scar?


This, this scar. Is taking over my life. I lose self confidence when I look in the mirror and feel horrible about how I look. I can't take this any longer. I really don't want to spend a large amount of money at laser skin therapy or chemical peel. I was wondering if there are any at home things that will remove this. I have done at home microdermabrasion with baking soda and eggs but it doesn't do much. There are kits for 20 dollars but I'm not sure they will do anything. Is there any creams any kits that I can use. Because I can't. I can't take this.


Sorry to hear about this problem, but it is important to know where exactly the scar is located. If it is on your face, as it is implied, and ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngology - head and neck surgeon AKA ENT surgeon) would be a good option, as would a facial plastic surgeon. Given the depth of the scar that you are describing, it is quite possible that none of the peels or other superficial treatments will be helpful. Certainly, the inexpensive options available over the counter are not likely to help, especially given what you have already tried to do. Those may help with the most superficial layers of the scan, but are not likely to reverse the indentation that you are describing. In some cases it is necessary to do a complete scar revision. In these situations, the scar can be removed in a more cosmetic fashion that allows the wound to heal appropriately in a natural skin crease. Also, these revisions can be kept completely clean and therefore will often heal better than the original scar. Given that this is causing you so many problems, please speak with someone soon about the best option for you to feel better.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.