ZocdocAnswersWhat can be possible reasons for pain in the middle of chest (in the bones)?

Question

What can be possible reasons for pain in the middle of chest (in the bones)?

I am 25 yrs old. I have been having chest pain, kind of persistent, for last 2 months. It is the middle of the chest where it hurts. I got it X-Rayed but nothing appeared. Blood tests were normal too. My health condition is normal and appetite is fine as well. I used to smoke in the college, kind of regular, but not any more. But this should be causing this pain(in the bones?). My doctor says nothing seems to be bad. She has advised me to go for a CT-scan as the X-Ray report was pretty normal. Someone please help I am quite worried.

Answer

If you are concerned about chronic chest pain, I recommend that you see your doctor for further evaluation, in order to come a diagnosis, and treatment if necessary. There are many causes for chest pain, some benign and others more severe. We generally think about the possibilities of chest pain based on systems. The cardiovascular system, which includes that heart and vessels is a common source of chronic chest pain in older patients with atherosclerosis, resulting in decreased cardiac blood flow and chest pain, referred to as angina. It would be quite uncommon for a 25-year-old to have symptomatic heart disease. It is important to review your family history with your doctor, as some patients are at increased risk for early heart disease. The pulmonary system, which includes the lungs and chest cavity, can also be a source of pain for many reasons. Intrinsic lung disease, such as pneumonia can cause pain. Inflammation of the lining of the lungs or lung cavity, referred to as pleurisy, can also result in chest pain that is worse with movement and inspiration and is usually throughout the chest. Rarely, pulmonary emboli, or clots in the lungs, can cause chest pain worse with inspiration, but is associated with other concerning symptoms like tachycardia and difficulty breathing. A common cause of substernal chest pain in young adults is costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs. This is a benign condition that can be treated with rest and anti-inflammatories. It is associated with tenderness to touch or pressure over the affected area. I recommend that you followup with your doctor in order to further evaluation your symptoms.