How likely is it that I have chlamydia?

I had unprotected sex and got a clamydia test the following day, that same day I was prescribed 500mg of amoxocillian to be taken 3 times daily for 7 days for a throat infection,the test came back for clamydia but now I'm worried I did it too early, I have read though that amoxocillian treats claumydia so do I need to worry , I am getting re tested but would just like to know the likely hood of me having it
I would say that the only way to know for sure that you do not have chlamydia is for you to undergo a second test, so it is important to visit your primary care physician. I am not entirely sure that the first test, the day after you had sex, can be relied upon. I do think that most likely if you are exposed to chlamydia test may come back positive, but this depends on the type of test that was ordered. The second issue, which is the antibiotics that you took already, I think should not be relied upon as a sign that you are cured. Amoxicillin is not in an antibiotic that we typically used to treat chlamydia. Chlamydia does not have the same kind of machinery that amoxicillin would necessarily attack. The antibiotics that we typically use for chlamydia include azithromycin and doxycycline. Keep in mind that if you are going to be tested for chlamydia, you should also be tested for gonorrhea. These two bacteria like to travel together, and the symptoms cannot be distinguished without laboratory tests. Both of these can be treated with a single dose of antibiotics. Gonorrhea can be treated with a single shot of ceftriaxone whereas chlamydia can be treated with a single dose of azithromycin. Good luck.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024