ZocdocAnswersWhy can't I cry?

Question

Why can't I cry?

When I get deeply depressed I just cannot cry,I don't know why!!!When I think of something bad I just tend to get very depressed and feel empty but I don't actually cry.I have tried many things to make me cry but I can not cry.ICould there be anything physichally or mentally wrong with me?????Thank you for your help.

Answer

People will demonstrate their emotions in different manners. While there are a few medical reasons that a person would not cry with liquid tears, these are somewhat rare. Your primary care doctor will be in the best position to speak with you about this to start off, but from there he or she may refer you to a specialist. An ophthalmologist would be able to test the amount of tears that your body makes and whether or not this is normal. If you do not have other eye problems, then it may be more likely to do with the fact that your eyes are the source of the problem. If, on the other hand, you are more prone to other issues with mental health, then it is perhaps more likely that it has something to do with your mental health. If you are not prone to problems with either, then this may represent simply the way that you manage your emotions. If you remain concerned about this, then a psychiatrist may be able to offer some additional help and encouragement as you seek to understand the manner in which you express yourself. Please speak with your doctor more about this.