Is this a callus or a wart, and what do I do?

It is located where a callus would be from heavy lifting, on the palm of my hand right below my ring finger on my right hand. There was something coming from the middle of it so I picked it off easily with no pain and now there is a hole in the center going all the way down with a red or black dot at the end of the hole. It's now very painful and raised from my skin in a volcano type shape and the same color as my skin.
This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Warts and calluses have some similarities but also some important differences. Calluses are caused by friction of the skin and are usually gray or yellowish in color. The surface is usually thick and roughened. Warts are caused by a virus and are can be located anywhere on the body. Warts are usually smooth and flat but can become distorted if picked at. They can be many colors with most common being flesh colored. They often have a single dark spot at the center which is one of the reasons I feel that what you are describing is more likely a wart then a callus. Warts can be painful, especially when irritated. A callus tends to be non-painful. Wart removal can be done in various ways, from cryotherapy (freezing it off), using chemical methods, or sometimes even removing it via biopsy. Again, it is very important to make an appointment with a primary care doctor or a dermatologist to get a correct diagnosis and discuss the best possible treatment for your symptoms.

Nearby Dermatologists