ZocdocAnswersCould I have an STD?

Question

Could I have an STD?

A week ago I had unprotected oral sex with an escort while on vacation. 2 days after that I returned from holiday and fell sick imeediately with flu like symptoms I am getting better now but still have cough. 2 days later I felt a little tingling sensation in my penis near the opening. Noting painful just a weird fleeting feeling like a small prick. I have today noticed a small pea sized invisible bump at the base of my penis that doesnt hurt even if I touch or push it. I have no other symptoms. Also ever since I thought maybe I have an STD I started taking multivitamin tablets and an antibiotic known as Klavox 1g - clavulanate-potentiated amoxycillin

Answer

There is always a chance that you could have a sexually transmitted disease (STD) when you have sexual intercourse without a condom. That is why it is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible. People do not always have symptoms with STD's. Some people actually carry STD's without feeling any symptoms. If someone does have symptoms, it could could include pain with urinating, rashes, itch, and discharge from the penis. You described some of the symptoms that you had and a skin abnormality. STD's vary in type, and are not just simply bacteria. STD's can also include viruses. It is not recommended to take Klavox at this point because it is unclear whether you have an STD. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to have your symptoms evaluated. They can take urine and blood to have it examined for STD's. If there is a bacteria STD, they can prescribe the correct antibiotic for you. It is very important to use a condom to prevent STD's. Some STD's such as HIV is not curable, but they are treatable. In the meantime, if you have other partners, you should use a condom when you have sexual intercourse.