Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I've had muscle spasms, aches and pains in the upper left side of my body. Should I get it checked out?"

ZocdocAnswersI've had muscle spasms, aches and pains in the upper left side of my body. Should I get it checked out?


At first it started as a sharp pain in my left chest, then the next day I started having sharp pains and aches radiating on and off from my left chest to my left shoulder blade and up my left side of my neck and jaw and down my arm and in my hand. And this was going on for 4 days then got it checked out to make sure it wasn't heart related and it wasn't but two days after it still continued and then I started getting these muscle spasms and Charlie horse like cramps in my left arm,shoulder and hand and neck and still getting pains in my chest it acts up more when I do stuff with the left side of my body. I have been applying heat and taking ibuprofen and stuff but its not doing anything for it really and I'm not sure what I should do and if I should even get it checked out cuz its been a week now and its still continuing and its getting irritating and interfering with my job cuz I do work in a restaurant and I do carry stuff around.


Thank you for your question. So sorry to hear about this continued problem, which sounds like is starting to interfere with your every day life. I am glad to hear that you have already worked with a physician to make sure that this is not something related to your heart. Obviously, left sided chest pain that radiates to the jaw and arm is quite concerning, and so you should continue to work with your doctor to make sure that you are well. There are many other things that can cause these symptoms as well. Malnutrition or other problems with your electrolytes can cause the many aches and pains that you seem to be describing. Additionally, overusing one side of your body during your time on your job could potentially be contributing to some of this as well. There are of course many serious things that this could also be, and so you should work with your doctor until you are able to return to your normal state of health. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.