ZocdocAnswersIm on my period and I just started having chest pain. Could this be a period symptom?

Question

Im on my period and I just started having chest pain. Could this be a period symptom?

im 21 yrs old,i just started having chest pain in the middle of my chest I'm on my period....its like a crushing,tightness....would this be a period symptom?

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding chest pain while on your menstrual period. It is unlikely that this is a symptom of your period, but could be indicative of many other things. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. In general, patients who present with chest pain that is described as crushing, tight, or "like a weight or elephant sitting on my chest" would raise concern for a heart attack. However, this is the case for women who are much older, usually over the age of 55. Your young age makes this much more unlikely, although it could be possible if you have cardiovascular risk factors. Drugs, such as cocaine, can also cause heart attacks in young people and should be considered. Still other conditions can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. Heartburn occurs when acid from your stomach comes back up into your esophagus. Because the esophagus is located close to the heart, heartburn can cause a feeling of chest pain. Anxiety can also cause chest pain or a feeling of heart palpitations (or the heart skipping a beat). Sometimes, inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs on our chest (costochondritis) can also cause the feeling of chest pain. As there are many possibilities, I would encourage you to visit your doctor who will be able to examine you and conduct the appropriate testing.