ZocdocAnswersShould I see a doctor after a possible concussion?

Question

Should I see a doctor after a possible concussion?

I hit my head on the corner of a counter pretty hard at work. I had trouble with balance, concentrating, vision was blurred and felt slightly drunk. After vomiting twice I was sent home. The next morning when I woke up I have what feels to be a large bruise where I hit my head and have had one again off again severe head aches. Should I see a doctor, and what would they do for me or tell me if I did?

Answer

That is an excellent question and based upon the symptoms you are describing, a question that would best be answered by your primary care doctor or a neurologist specializing in concussion. Severe head trauma can be a very debilitating issue and so the sooner you are seen, the better. They may decide to do further diagnostic testing such as MRI or CT scan to ensure that you do not have any underlying lesions that could be causing your headaches. They may also treat your headaches symptomatically with medications. Sometimes, people who have severe head injury have similar complaints to the ones you are describing, and over time they resolve, while other people continue to have headaches and other symptoms chronically. One thing that is very important is that you avoid any further head injuries because concussions are serious issues and if you go on to develop another one, the can lead to further issues down the road. For this reason, it is important that you avoid sports that have a high risk of concussion such as football, and wear a helmet when bicycling. Traumatic brain injury is a serious issue and it warrants you having an honest discussion with your doctor about what to do from this point onwards.