ZocdocAnswersI have pain in the lower left stomach, could it be kidney infection?

Question

I have pain in the lower left stomach, could it be kidney infection?

I recently started getting pain in my lowerstomach on the left side.Sometimes it travels down all the way down to my vagina. And im getting faint pain in my right side where my kidney would be. Could it be a kidney infection or pergnancy?

Answer

There are many things that can cause the stomach pain you are describing that are worth getting checked out for. There are several different kinds of infections that can cause similar symptoms, so it is important to see a doctor. One could be an infection of the kidneys (called pyelonephritis) or the urinary tract; you could also have a kidney stone which could cause pain to radiate from your back or side down into your groin, and could also cause bloody urine. You could have an infection in your GI tract, such as colitis or diverticulitis, or more rarely a GI condition like colon cancer that would cause pain in the left lower quadrant of your stomach. You are also right that there are conditions related to your gynecologic tract that could cause such symptoms, such as an ectopic pregnancy, an ovarian cyst, ovarian torsion, or endometriosis. You could also have pain or inflammation of the muscles on that part of your abdomen. As you can see, there is a wide range of possibilities, some of which don't require any treatment and some of which can be life-threatening emergencies. If you are still having the pain I would strongly recommend you see the doctor to have them do a physical exam and determine whether you need any further testing.