ZocdocAnswersThere's a lump alongside testicles that is painless, but continuing to grow. I'm experiencing erection problems. What's wrong?

Question

There's a lump alongside testicles that is painless, but continuing to grow. I'm experiencing erection problems. What's wrong?

Lump size of quarter and seems to b attached to tubes in scrotum. Problems keeping erection

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can understand why they are concerning for you. You should schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor, as it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without an in-person evaluation. On the superior aspect of the posterior testicles lies the epididymis. This is a series of tubes that helps transport sperm from the testicles to the penis. This is often felt as a lump on exam and is normal. However, this does not typically grow in size. Any testicular lump that is enlarging is concerning for testicular cancer. I strongly encourage you to see a primary care physician for further evaluation. A typical evaluation consists of a thorough history, physical exam, testicular ultrasound, and urine test. There are many different causes of erectile dysfunction. Abnormal blood flow to the penis, as in peripheral vascular disease, can cause this. People with a prior history of coronary artery disease may experience this, as can patients with diabetes. Obesity can lead to difficulty with erections. Furthermore, various hormonal imbalances and psychiatric issues can cause these symptoms. Finally, this may also be related to the lump on your testicle. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a primary care physician.