ZocdocAnswersHow much bleeding is too much bleeding?

Question

How much bleeding is too much bleeding?

I had a mirena iud inserted in August and have had on and off bleeding which I know is normal but this past week it has gotten heavier and yesterday and today it's become worse. I went through a box of 36 regular and super tampons and have passed clots the size of my palm. Should I go in to the ER. I'm bleeding bright red blood and it comes out lile someone has turned on a faucet.

Answer

Yes, you should go to the emergency department, or at least speak with the doctor who removed the IUD to see if he or she would like to see you immediately in his or her office. Perhaps calling 911 is another option, depending on the amount of blood you have lost and any other symptoms you may have. Either way, you will need to see a doctor immediately to make sure that the bleeding is not life threatening. If your bleeding continues at a heavy rate, it can make your heart work too hard and can result in too little blood to supply your brain and other vital organs which can be potentially deadly. Please see a doctor now. Intrauterine devices are excellent at preventing pregnancy, but they can be associated with rare complications, some of which you may be describing currently. While there are other potential explanations for your bleeding, the association with the heavy bleeding and the insertion of the device do have me very concerned. This website does not fill the role of your doctor, and you should not wait for answers to questions on this site before seeking the help of a physician when you are not well. Please talk with a doctor immediately.