Redness and swelling of penis tip - what could be the cause?

For about two months now I have had a swollen tip of my penis with a bit of swelling on the underside near the tip. There is some redness on and around the tip of my penis. I have not had any sores, been tested and came back negative for stds, and have not been sexually active in quite some time. Just recently I was diagnosed with mono. Is it possible that the swelling in my penis and the mild redness and irritation is due to mono? Or is it something else? Note the redness and rash is more irritating and not really itchy.
In order to receive a formal evaluation and possible treatment if necessary, I recommend that you see a healthcare professional for your symptoms. Painful, swollen sores on the penis can have multiple causes. Testing for sexually transmitted diseases in males involves testing for syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea, however, these cause purulent discharge from the urethra, but are not typically associated with penile sores. Genital herpes can cause isolated, non-itchy, painful, swollen sores of the penis. There is no test for herpes unless sores are present, in which case the diagnosis is made by history, physical exam and culture of the lesion for the herpes virus. The more sexual partners one has, the higher the risk of developing this condition. Other causes of open sores on the penis may include trauma, often in the form of repetitive injury due to frequent masturbation or sexual activity. Sometimes bacterial infections of the penis may cause an open sore, and may be associated with swollen inguinal lymph nodes. Mononucleosis generally does not cause sores of the penis that you describe. If the lesion has not improved, it is important that you see a doctor in order to undergo the appropriate testing and treatment needed, if any.