ZocdocAnswersHow can I get rid of armpit odors?

Question

How can I get rid of armpit odors?

i guess i have done all things or almost all solutions for this problem, iv tried a lot of brands but still it doesn't work, i applied a deodorant at morning, so im expecting that it will keep my armpit dry throughout the day since it prevent sweating, but still it doesn't work, it becomes wet and it is also visible to my clothes on the area, the brand says it last 24hrs but with me it only takes even an hour and there it goes depending on the temperature of the surroundings, i thought that even if i got sweat with someparts of my body since it is a normal body reaction to the sorroundings my armpit wont get sweaty because i applied a deodorant but im wrong, why is that? whats the solution for this things, it affects my social life, daily life and almost everything....pls. help me....what should i do.....

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. Hyperhidrosis can be an embarrassing situation with a significant impact on your daily life. Usually this condition does not have an identifiable cause. However, sometimes sweating can be a sign that something else is going on with your body, such as an infection, rare tumor, or side effect from medications. Therefore, it is important that you review your symptoms with your doctor to rule out other potential causes. If no other cause is identified, there are some potential options to help you control the sweating. It may first help to apply deodorant several times throughout the day, instead of only once in the morning. You may simply require more applications than the recommended advertising on the deodorant brand. If this does not help, you may want to speak with your doctor about getting a prescription deodorant. Over the counter deodorants contain a very low dose of metal (usually aluminum) that physically blocks the opening of sweat glands. A prescription deodorant will contain a higher percentage of these metals and may be effective for you. If your perspiration is limited to the underarms, botox injections may be another potential option. Botox can block the release of a chemical which triggers sweat production. Botox is also FDA approved for use in axilla hyperhidrosis, or underarm sweating. Please speak with your doctor about your symptoms and he/she can help guide you as to the most appropriate next step.