ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to take chlamydia pills if my husband ejaculated in me?

Question

Is it safe to take chlamydia pills if my husband ejaculated in me?

I have chlamydia and my doctor gave me the pills to take for it but My husband and i had sex this morning and he ejaculated in me. Is it still safe for me to take the pills now to be cured or should i wait 3-4 days for the sperm to be out of my system?

Answer

I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. The key question is whether or not your husband is also infected. If the two of you get treated simultaneously, or if he was already treated for chlamydia, then it might not matter. The antibiotics should continue to be effective whether you had unprotected sex or not. However, if he has chlamydia and has not been treated, it does not matter when you take the antibiotics because you will soon be infected again. If he hasn't been treated, then you need to make sure he is. At that point, you should be treated again. Most doctors would recommend that you take your antibiotics as prescribed now because any delay could result in a worsening in your infection and the development of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor so that you can can discuss this issue. If your husband has not been treated, then a prescription for the appropriate antibiotics is appropriate. In addition, continued treatment for you through the time that he is treated will likely be needed to insure that you end up with a cure. Make sure to schedule that appointment immediately if you develop lower pelvic pain or fevers. Good luck.