ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to bleed after sex?

Question

Is it normal to bleed after sex?

After a long gap of nearly a year I happen to have sex with my boyfriend but I started bleeding..is it normal? Need help

Answer

Bleeding during or after sex is common but it is not normal. There are a number of reasons that can cause bleeding after sex that it is important to be evaluated by a doctor to determine if it is something harmless or something that needs to be treated. It is harmless to bleed a little bit after sex if you don't have sex regularly. This problem should go away after time. However, a persistent or a frequently recurrent bleeding may indicate a medical problem, but in most cases, if promptly diagnosed it is treatable. Bleeding can also occur if the cells of your cervix are inflamed or contain a lesion such as abnormal cells that any injury to it could cause bleeding much more easily. Vaginitis is the inflammation of the vagina that may cause bleeding after intercourse. Pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis may also lead to vaginal bleeding during or after intercourse as well. There are a number of other possible causes, but it is difficult to speculate with limited information. Please visit an OB-GYN for a thorough evaluation and a cause determined. Your doctor can examine your pelvic and look closely at your cervix for any tumors or polyps on the cervix or vaginal wall. If you have not had a PAP smear done recently, your doctor may also order one for you to check for cervical cancer.