ZocdocAnswersMy Alt was 64, what does that mean?

Question

My Alt was 64, what does that mean?

I had blood drawn yesterday. The doctor told me to check it again in a few weeks

Answer

ALT is one of the liver function tests. The other liver function tests include AST, alkaline phosphatase, and albumin. An elevated ALT might mean a slightly inflamed liver. Since the level of 64 is not that elevated, your doctor has opted to just recheck it, which is probably appropriate. So I recommend that you continue to follow-up with your doctor. If it remains elevated, then you will need a workup for hepatitis, which is a general term to describe inflammation of the liver. The workup for elevated ALT includes sending off tests for viral hepatitis including hepatitis A, B, and C. Of note, these usually cause ALT elevations that are much greater, but could represent a low level of chronic infection in some cases. A more common possibility is fatty liver, also known as non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. This is common in people that are overweight. If you consume large amounts of alcohol regularly, alcoholic hepatitis is possible. In addition to the blood tests, your doctor might consider sending you for a right upper quadrant ultrasound which can take a close look at the liver for abnormalities such as fatty infiltration. If any of these tests come back positive, then you would warrant referral to a gastroenterologist. Some gastroenterologists have specialized in liver disease which might be best for you, but only if something abnormal is found.