What can I do about hair loss?

I've been loosing my hair a lot for almost four years. It started when I was 16 not long after I started having food disorder (bulimia) with vomiting and started smoking. Today, I do not have any food disorders any more and eat very healthy, I barely smoke a cigaret a day and had my iron level tested a few times I the past years, the level was normal. Doctors also prescribed me some biotin and other vitamins to help but nothing worked. All this time I thought that my food disorders where the root cause but it's been 5 month at least that I did not have any food disorders so I am really starting to think that I wasn't just that. I use to have very thick, shiny hair, now they are very thin, break easily and it really starts to show especially on the top of my hair and in the last month, my hair loss is even more important than usual. I don't know my biological father but my mother and grand mother both have good strong hair.
Thanks for your question. I recommend that you discuss your question with your doctor. There are many explanations for hair loss and changes in the strength of the hair, but it is important to understand how hair grows in order to better answer this question. There are 3 stages of hair growth and in the life of a hair follicle. In one stage, the follicle is actively growing, in the other it remains relatively stable, and in the last the hair can even fall out (gross over simplification, of course). Hair follicles can move from one stage to the next very quickly after spending years in the first (growing stage), and much of what drives this change is not understood. What is understood, however, is that nutrition and stress play a large role in the process of hair growth. It is very common for people with eating disorders to have changes to their hair. Because of how long it takes for a hair follicle to grow and how long it may take for a follicle to move from one stage or cycle to the next, correcting an eating disorder does not immediately lead to normalization of the hair. Please speak with your doctor about this question and to make sure you are well.