ZocdocAnswersI have a crawling sensation on my face around my nose, eyes. What could be wrong?

Question

I have a crawling sensation on my face around my nose, eyes. What could be wrong?

i have had bloodwork done and everything came back normal. i took an h.i.v. test and was negative. i also seen a allergist, and dermatologist with no luck.

Answer

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. What you are describing seems to be a sensation known to physicians as a paresthesia, or a sensation of something involving the skin in the absence of known or identified stimuli. The distribution of the sensation can sometimes be helpful, as nerves travel in predictable sites that can help to explain what nerves could potentially be involved. Once these nerves are identified and their paths reviewed, your doctor may be able to help predict some cause of the problem. This may require some sort of imaging such as a CT with contrast or an MRI, as these are able to evaluate the deeper tissues of the head and neck that could potentially be causing some of these symptoms. Your doctor may be even more concerned if there are other concerning symptoms such as changes to the ability to move the face, or decreased sensation or even taste disturbances, Any of these can be signs of a deeper seated problem. Regardless, you should speak with your doctor. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology head and neck surgeon) may be able to help you. Please speak with your doctor about treatment options.