ZocdocAnswersI have sickle cell anemia, how can I know when it has gotten worse?

Question

I have sickle cell anemia, how can I know when it has gotten worse?

My stomach is sore I can't barely use the restroom it hurt to push

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Sickle cell anemia is a complex and life-threatening disorder. In order to make recommendations regarding your care, a doctor would need to know the full details of your medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. The doctor will also need to review your prior blood work. Only after compiling this information will it be possible to make recommendations on your condition. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a hematologist. Sickle cell anemia is a heritable disorder that involves a mutation in hemoglobin. As a result, the red blood cells adopt an abnormal "sickle" shape. This leads to chronic anemia and occasional episode of "sickle crisis," which are characterized by severe pain and other life-threatening side effects. Patients with sickle cell anemia require close follow up by a hematologist. They may require iron supplements to help their bodies replenish the stores of red blood cells. Your abdominal pain may or may not be related to your sickle cell anemia. Patients with sickle cell anemia are at higher risk for developing gall stones as well as infarcts of the spleen. However, you will need to be evaluated for other causes of abdominal pain. I encourage you to raise all these concerns with a hematologist.