ZocdocAnswersI am 5 weeks pregnant and began to spot and bleed. Am I losing the baby?

Question

I am 5 weeks pregnant and began to spot and bleed. Am I losing the baby?

I began to take prenatal vitamins the day the spotting began. We also had sex. At first it was light pink, and has since turned a red color. The spotting is also heavier and will sometimes have clots. The first day of spotting there were minor cramps, but those have since gone away.

Answer

I recommend that you see your OB/GYN doctor immediately to be evaluated. You mentioned that you are pregnant with spotting/clots. There is concern for a condition called threatened abortion versus inevitable abortion. Both conditions could lead to losing the baby. A threatened abortion is when your cervix is closed, signs of vaginal bleeding, and abdominal pain. An inevitable abortion is when your cervix is open, signs of vaginal bleeding, and abdominal pain. The cervix is the opening between the vagina and the uterus. In order to evaluate your pregnancy, a doctor would need to do an ultrasound of your abdomen or an intra-vaginal ultrasound to determine if your pregnancy is still viable. They will also need to draw labs. They will also need to do a clinical exam to determine if your cervix is open or closed. Because you have vaginal bleeding, you should see your OB/GYN doctor immediately so they can evaluate your symptoms. If you continue to have vaginal bleeding, you should consider going to the emergency room as well. Natural abortions do occur frequently even if you are doing everything right. It can be emotionally challenging, especially if it was a planned pregnancy. If you are ever to find yourself having a tough time with your emotions, you can consider seeing a psychiatrist.