Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I feel pressure on my chest and shortness of breath, should I go back to the doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersI feel pressure on my chest and shortness of breath, should I go back to the doctor?


I am 18 years old, 110 lb female. I had catheter ablation surgery December of 2011 and was placed on a heart depressant shortly after. this placed my heart rate at high 60, low 70 beats per minute. my heart rate has recently went up to high 80, low 90 beats per minute. I know this is in the "normal range" but I have had pressure on my chest and shortness of breathe . should I go back to the dr?


I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds as if you already have a complex cardiac history that may play a role in your current symptoms. In order to provide an accurate answer, a doctor would need to have access to your prior medical records and also review your entire medical history. You would also need to undergo a physical exam. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist to further evaluate your symptoms. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the most appropriate steps moving forward. Chest pressure and shortness of breath have many potential causes. Pulmonary issues, such as asthma, can cause airway constriction, which limits the ability of oxygen to pass through your lungs into your bloodstream. Cardiac issues can also cause your symptoms. It sounds as if you had an arrhythmia in the past. A recurrence of the arrhythmia can cause chest pressure and shortness of breath if your heart beats too fast to pump blood to your other organs. Although rare at your age, abnormalities or blockages of the coronary arteries can cause similar symptoms. Congestive heart failure can cause these symptoms if the heart muscle is unable to keep up with the demand placed upon it. Ultimately, you will need to see a cardiologist to discuss these symptoms.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.