ZocdocAnswersCould this be caused by my thyroid?

Question

Could this be caused by my thyroid?

I was told I have geographic tongue but it is only on the sides of my tongue also I have started having very heavy periods, I feel like something is in my throat , I get mouth ulcers all the time

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have recently been diagnosed with geographic tongue, and that you have many other complaints, including menstrual problems, mouth ulcers, and the sensation of something in your throat, and that you are worried that it all may be related to your thyroid. I am happy to give you some of my initial ideas about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to get evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. They will be able to examine you and take more of a medical history to help get to the bottom of what is going on. While it is possible that you could have a thyroid problem, you bring up many different issues all of which cannot easily be explained by a thyroid disorder. The thyroid gland lies within the lower aspect of your neck and secretes thyroid hormone which acts like the 'gas peddle' for your metabolism. Excessively high or low levels can cause systemic issues, which could potentially affect your menstrual period. To the best of my knowledge (as an ENT) there is no association between thyroid disorders and geographic tongue however. I would start with the ENT and see if they can give you answers to some of your problems, and then they can tell you who else you may need to see. Best of luck.